Monday, August 5, 2013

The Beginning


The Art of EnRapturing is not just a blog about my own life and art. It is also about the many artists and experiences that I meet who enrapture us all, bringing intense joy and pleasure into our lives through their presence.
The name for my business, EnRapturing ReVisions came about almost 20 years ago. I was a young adult living in a broken-down school bus in Arizona, on a goat farm. I loved the Sonoran desert like a mother from the instant I met her and so I moved there to be close to Spirit and to do an art show at a small gallery in Tucson.
I was very poor, living off of food stamps. I had made some money as an artist previously, by selling handmade jewelry to strippers, the only people I knew who always had cash in hand, and so I thought I would make lingerie from recycled leather, pieces to sell to them. I thought for weeks on a name that would encompass this as well as my passion for collecting junque for reuse in art, which was precisely what my upcoming art show was all about.
I could see that people got great pleasure from seeing my “satellite babies”. So I thought they must be ENRPAPTURED by the beauty I had created from junque, which I had found and RE-VISIONED into art, all of which I knew was divinely inspired.




But I guess this passion really begin in my childhood. With an avid recycler for a Mom (who caught on before there was even a good place for the average citizen to take their recycling), I realized early on, how important it would be in the future, to help the planet by recycling and reusing whenever possible.
And as long ago as I can remember, there was never a doubt in my mind that I would grow up to be an artist of some kind. It was the one thing I knew for sure about my future.  I even decided that being an artist was so much a part of me, that I would be a natural at it and no schooling after high school would even be necessary. Had I thought otherwise, perhaps the road might have been a LOT easier…....but not nearly as fun and adventurous!



No comments:

Post a Comment