Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Mardi Gras Indian Spirituality


For many years I have been fascinated with the Mardi Gras Indians. They are one of the things that made me fall in love with New Orleans. Usually, my love for a culture happens because there is something much more special about it than I know about at first. 


Photos by Roy Guste


My first Mardi Gras in New Orleans, after moving there, I made it a priority to seek out the Indians on Mardi Gras Day.
Being a costume artist myself, I wanted to see them up close. But I also wanted to hear the music that was their culture…and to experience what Mardi Gras was like for them.  It did not matter that I was a white girl in a chartreuse and fuchsia costume that completely stood out in a crowd where I was obviously an outsider. I just wanted to be close to the beauty and wonder of these New Orleans legends.
I made my way down to Claiborne Avenue and despite the warnings that I might get into trouble, I had no problems. I always went where my heart led me anyway. No one cared that I was there and I seemed to blend in.  But I soon learned that to catch them at all, I had needed to be out by the early morning. Most of the Indians had left for the Zulu parade hours earlier.  Seeing them up close would have to come later. 

It appears that the Mardi Gras Indians first came about in the late 1880s. Scholars have differing opinions on exactly how but some say that they emerged after a visit from the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show when a group of Native Americans in finely dressed hand crafted attire performed as a part of the exhibition and inspiring locals.  Others believe that a connection between blacks and Native Americans was forged when New Orleans escaped slaves found asylum with Louisiana tribes”.

Photo by Bob Compton
In the early days, the Indians would fight on Mardi Gras day, to establish territory, sometimes to the death. Big Chief Tootie Montana helped put an end to that by getting the tribes to learn to respect each other. He knew African Americans had been put through enough and wanted to see the community bonding rather than rivals.  He was one of the first to begin to costume extravagantly and today Mardi Gras Day is a competition for who is the prettiest Indian. 


 Photo by Christopher Porsche West

Chief Tootie is also known for his innovations with designing the Indians suits. He developed the full-length trail crown that spread out horizontally from side to side instead of lengthwise sticking out behind the chief. In Tootie’s words “"Every piece was put on there one at a time. You pick up a sequin, you pick up a bead; even the beads around a stone are threaded and you hook them up one at a time. I use glue after my pieces are put together. I make my pieces like a puzzle."


But costuming is not all that the tradition is about. A deep almost ancestral influence exists where an Indian dances in full regalia on Mardi Gras Day, and can be a means for connecting with spirit. Almost like when a practitioner goes into trance during a voodoo ceremony, the Mardi Gras Indian becomes aware only of that deep connection that is occurring between himself and spirit and less aware of any pain or of being tired from dancing so long. 


Chief Tootie did so much to improve the lives of Mardi Gras Indians and create fellowship among African Americans in New Orleans throughout his own life till his dying day. He died a martyr. Standing up for the rights of musicians to perform in Jackson Square while at a City Council meeting in New Orleans City Hall on  June 27, 2005, when a heart attack struck him down. Who could’ve made more of an impression for the Indians and Musicians' rights than a legend like this man? 


 Photo by Cathy Anderson


No comments:

Post a Comment