Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Passion for Travel

For most of my life, I’ve been excited about the future. And lately the near future, even just two days from now or two weeks from now, is enough to excite me. It’s exciting not knowing what exactly is to come but being wide open to the possibilities. That is why I love being a traveling nomad. Driving down the highway towards the next adventure and not knowing what to expect. When you’re a wanderer the way that I am, nothing is defined or routine. You have very little expectations for what’s to come.


I don’t typically do any research before I travel somewhere either. I never went to college and have a terrible knowledge of geography. I usually know very little about a place I am going, preferring to keep things mysterious until I arrive. Then it feels even more exotic. I might come to find out, “Wow! I can go on safari here?” or “How fascinating. They still practice animism here!”. It’s never a problem... always a surprise.
 

What I also love about traveling is how it inspires me. I am constantly intrigued when I travel, always exploring. Even if I am going to a place I have already been to. Traveling makes me feel like I did when I was so passionate about my art while I was living in New Orleans. I get so excited about creating the journey and the art from it, that not even sleep is important anymore. I don’t want to miss a thing. I eat, breathe and sleep creating. I want to photograph everything! And write about it! It’s a wonderful feeling to be passionate about my life again.


When I travel I am always planning my next move. Aware of things like, “If I get there in the next hour I can catch the sunset!” Or “I have a little time before the train leaves so I’ll take a walk and see what I may have missed here before.” It feels like every moment has great potential for creating- art, connections, friendships, memories, stories!
 



Even when I am already exhausted, I am still excited to explore more, right up until my last day in a place. I might get up in a small town at 4 am to go to a sunrise Buddhist ceremony. Then end my day in the city I will fly out of, at midnight, after a great meal and a walk on the beach.
  

I feel like it’s an investment just to travel and I want to make the most of every single moment. And when one trip ends, I cannot wait to start the next adventure. I am excited to see where it leads me and what will be created from it. And I am open to all possibilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment